A laminar flow hood is an equipment used in laboratories with the purpose of providing a contamination-free environment, since it offers a sterile and safe area within the laboratory, being able to perform any activity required in a safe way. Laminar flow hoods have a HEPA filter, which is responsible for filtering the air and maintaining the air flow.
While a biological safety cabinet (BSC) represents a primary containment barrier that allows working safely with biological agents. It is a piece of equipment with a structure designed to prevent the escape of bioaerosols from the work area and, therefore, protect users and the environment from possible exposure to biological agents. There are three types: type I, type II and type III. In the case of type I, it provides protection to the user and the environment but does not protect the product from possible contamination.
How do laminar flow hoods work?
In laminar flow hoods all the air entering the work area is filtered through HEPA filters, producing a unidirectional flow because the air moves through the work area with a uniform velocity along parallel lines achieving a sweep or elimination of the particles present in it. The air filtration is obtained by means of a built-in HEPA filter, which filters 99.97% of particles larger or equal to 0.3 micrometers.
It is important to note that this type of equipment should not be used to work with hazardous products, for example, certain antibiotics and chemotherapeutics, or any type of pathogenic sample such as viruses, since during handling it can generate aerosols that the air flow will carry to the operator. It is designed to protect the product and not the user, unlike type I safety cabinets.
How does a Type I biological safety cabinet work?
Biological safety cabinets are equipment that provide a containment barrier for safe work with infectious agents. This equipment improves the general conditions under which a wide variety of laboratory activities are performed. Protection in these cabinets is obtained through the combination of electromechanical/electronic elements such as the motor, fan, filter, ducts, lighting, and physical processes including laminar flow, differences in pressures that drive the air through special large surface area filters, strategically located, which have a minimum particle retention efficiency of 99.99%.
Type I biological safety cabinets have an operating principle similar to that of a fume hood, it is a cabin that operates at negative pressure and is open frontally. The air coming from the room is introduced through the front opening and is extracted at 100%. They are characterized by providing protection to the user, to the environment and their main disadvantage is that they do not offer protection to the product.
What does Kalstein offer you?
Kalstein is a manufacturer of medical and laboratory equipment of the highest quality and the best technology at the best prices in the market, so you can make your purchase with confidence with us, knowing that you have the service and advice of a company specializing in the field and committed to providing safe, economical and effective options for the performance of your functions in the right way.
In this opportunity we present you our Class I Biosafety Cabinet YR0098. This innovative equipment with state-of-the-art technology has the following features:
- The Class I biosafety cabinet does not protect the product from contamination because unpurified room air constantly enters the work area.
- As a partial containment unit, the Class I biosafety cabinet is suitable for work with low to moderate risk agents (biosafety levels 1, 2 and 3) where there is a need for containment, but no need for product protection.
- Unlike the conventional fume hood, the HEPA filter in the Class I biosafety cabinet protects the environment by filtering the air before it is exhausted.
- With negative pressure, personnel protection is made possible by the constant movement of air in the work area.
- UV lamp for sterilization.
- Soft touch control panel, LCD display.
- Energy saving, high efficiency, low noise.
- With memory function in case of power failure.
- One piece of stable 304 stainless steel, easy to clean.
- Stable air flow system; provide firm protection to people and the environment.
For more information we invite you to take a look HERE