An electroscalpel is a medical device that converts electrical energy into heat to cut or coagulate tissues and cauterize them at the same time, using currents that develop at frequencies above 200,000 Hz. This device is composed of a series of individual units that together form an electrical circuit, where the current flows from a generator to an active electrode through the tissue and then back to the generator by the action of an inactive dispersion electrode.
Nowadays, the electroscalpel, also called an electric scalpel or an electrosurgical unit, is used in many medical specialties such as cosmetic surgery, obstetrics, dentistry, orthopedics, dermatology and veterinary medicine, since it allows to cut and cauterize tissues quickly, significantly reducing bleeding and causing very little thermal damage, which in turn results in considerable time savings. In addition, it allows effective asepsis, reducing the likelihood of transmission of infections from diseased tissues to healthy tissues.
How is an electroscalpel composed?
The parts that make up the electroscalpel have a punctual and essential function to carry out the cutting or coagulation effect as necessary, among them we can mention:
- Surgical electro generator: It is the one who produces the current, and where the frequency and power of the current that is transmitted to the tissues are configured.
- Positive or active electrode: It’s the device the surgeon drives. The current coming from the electrosurgical generator flows through the positive electrode and then comes into contact with the patient’s tissue.
- Negative or return electrode: This device dissipates currents from the patient safely. The plate, which corresponds to the negative charge generator can be metal, lead or disposable self-adhesive. It is located near where the incision is to be made, before the patient is placed on the stretcher.
Operation of an electroscalpel
The electroscalpel uses high-frequency electrical energy to generate heat in order to coagulate or cut tissues of biological origin. According to its structure it has two modes of operation. The monopolar mode of operation, where the active electrode is the one that intervenes in the process, since it concentrates the energy at the contact point. And the operation of bipolar mode involves the action of the two electrodes, and they are usually presented as a hemostatic clamp. Both perform pure and combined electrosection as well as electrocoagulation and heat production is achieved through the passage of an oscillatory electric current, concentrated in a small area.
This equipment circulates currents above 200,000 Hz up to 3 GHz, since these currents do not interfere with the nervous processes of the patient, this is achieved thanks to the use of an electric generator through two electrodes applied to the body; to generate controllable heat at the applied site, with which electrosection or electrocoagulation of tissue is caused, depending on the case. The electroscalpel produces a thermal effect caused by the high frequency alternating current used by the instrument, avoiding effects such as; the electrolyte effect or the faradic effect, which would occur if the current is used at frequencies below 200,000 Hz.
What does Kalstein offer you?
Kalstein is a company MANUFACTURER of medical and laboratory equipment of the highest quality and the best technology at the best PRICES in the market, so you can make your PURCHASE with us, knowing that you have the service and advice of a company specialized in the field and committed to provide you with safe, economical and effective options for the performance of your functions in the right way. This time we present our electrosurgical unit YR02147, this equipment is a new electrosurgical unit for all surgical procedures through all types of tissue. The YR series of electrosurgical generators is a reliable electrosurgical unit for the procedure of electrosurgical excision with loop (LEEP) in gynecology. With a maximum isolated output of up to 150 watts, automatic current control and compensation functions, you can perform high-precision cuts and coagulations with a lower risk of thermal damage. This computer has the following features:
- The electrosurgical generator has four cutting outputs and two clotting outputs.
- Provides automatic recognition of the return electrode.
- The electrosurgical generator provides digital diagnostic error codes.
- It has an isolated exit, all floating.
- The optional surgical smoke evacuation system is available to remove smoke or unpleasant odors.
- Application YR02147 applies for gynecological cervical surgery, plastic surgery and ORL surgery.
For more information we invite you to take a look at HERE